Couples Therapy Intensive Sessions
Florida Couples Retreats
We spend 2 full days with you (in-person offered) to help you work on your relationship
Couples Intensives are an elevated version of weekly therapy
Even though weekly couples therapy is the most typical format, intensives couples therapy retreats have the potential to significantly shift your relationship.
They aren’t only for married couples, but for anyone ready to dive into 2 days focused on implementing repair strategies in your relationship. Plus, you’ll learn so much about yourself and your partner along the way.
Who are therapy intensives for?
Couples therapy intensives work well for couples who wish to focus on working on and repairing their relationship without ‘starting and stopping’ between weekly sessions.
Couples who prefer an intensive format tend to fall into one or more of these categories:
- Have complicated schedules that have made it difficult to schedule and attend weekly therapy.
- In the midst of a crisis – for example, they are experiencing high conflict or recently suffered a significant loss or trauma.
- Have neglected their relationship for many years and realize they need to jump start it in a big way.
- Are considering splitting up and would like to give enough time to really think it through.
- Are not yet married and would like to get to know each other on a deep level and create healthy patterns before making a lifelong commitment.
How do therapy intensives work?
Couples Intensives are a focused, condensed form of couples counseling that occur over a period of 2 consecutive days offered in-home. These sessions work through the stages of Emotion Focused Therapy.
The intensive format allows couples to dive deeply into their issues without losing momentum between sessions each week. By investing in a weekend dedicated to counseling, you are able to reach stages of therapy that would typically take five months.
Intensive retreats are offered in Naples, Florida over 2 days that are set aside for YOU
To make these sessions even more effective and convenient, we come to you and work in your own space. This helps with the ease of translating therapy insights into your day to day life, while making sure you are comfortable for 7-hour days of therapy.
Alternatively, this format is a great option for couples wishing to spend a weekend away on the Florida gulf coast while working on their relationship.
What is it like to work in the intensive format?
Generally, the schedule looks something like this:
- 9:30-12:30- discuss immediate concerns and goals, and I will meet with each of you 1×1
- 12:30-1:30- you’ll break for lunch while I’ll compile the info so far and create a plan
- 1:30-5pm- we’ll work together as a group of three toward the goals established
- 9:30-12:30- continue working as a group of three and discuss reflections from prior day
- 12:30-1:30- you’ll break for lunch while I’ll evaluate progress
- 1:30-5pm- deeper emotional work where we work on reestablishing your connection and consolidate the work we did
If you’re counting, that’s about 14 hours of relationship-changing therapy.
These sessions are offered 2 consecutive days, most typically Friday/Saturday or Sunday/Monday- please inquire for availability.
Why an intensive?
In weekly therapy, the reality is that you only have so much time to get into the deep work. I have clients before and after you, and you have other obligations before and after session.
During an intensive weekend, timing is not an issue. If we’re on the edge of a breakthrough, we can keep going without worrying about the clock. The time is yours.
When you make the decision to step away from life for a couple days, you are showing yourself and your partner that you are ready to focus on your relationship in a way you never have before.
You’re less likely to have putting the kids to bed or replying to that work email on the back of your mind, because you’ve stepped aside from other obligations for these 2 days. All of which allows you to show up fully for each other.
They are a wonderful opportunity to build momentum and accelerate results in therapy, with the option to add periodic check-in sessions after the intensive. Any therapy you do after an intensive will be more meaningful and effective.
What is the treatment approach?
The weekend will focus on moving through the stages of Emotion-focused therapy, which is the gold standard treatment model in the field. The approach is based on clear, explicit research-based concepts of individual growth, health and dysfunction and of relationship distress and adult love.
Couples intensives work through the same principles as our online couples counseling services, only on an accelerated timeline.
Over the course of the 2 days, we will review your history, break down patterns that aren’t working, and learn to interact in new, connecting ways. The steps and goals include:
- Communicate better
- Rebuild trust
- Reconnect and find intimacy
- Finding common patterns in your fights and creating a new dynamic
We’re ready to change our relationship.
Next steps ↓
Fill out the form below and we will get back to you (usually within 2 business days).
I think people don’t change very much when all they have is a finger pointed at them. I think the only way people change is in relation to someone who loves them.Fred Rogers (as quoted by the NYT 11.24.19)